Monday, January 31, 2011

What is the difference between Graphic Design and Communications?



Your Ad Here



Graphic
by Alki1

Question by xo_smiley_face_x3: What is the difference between Graphic Design and Communications?

I've been checking out a Graphic Design undergraduate degree with a concentration of Advertising, and I was wondering, what's the difference between Graphic Design and Communications?




Best answer:


Your Ad Here


Answer by Josh C
Usually, a graphic design degree is going to focus more on art and visual design, whereas with a communications degree you may just touch on visual design. I have a BA in art with concentrations in advertising and computer art, but minored in communications. I started out majoring in communications because I was interested in reporting and newspaper and publication layout. During school I took a job working in advertising and ended up deciding that I was really enjoying focusing on design. I ended up switching majors because I needed more focus on visual design. The communications program offered only a few classes on publication layout and one on basic graphic design, whereas the art program offered three or four levels of classes focusing on advertising design, illustration, photography, logo design, typography, printing, etc.

If you want to be a graphic designer, the design or art program is probably going to be more helpful. If you want to be more involved in public relations, account management, writing, or general publication layout with only light-duty graphics work, communications might be where you want to be.





What do you think? Answer below!

Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment